The most beautiful and famous landmarks in the world are now yours to have in your home. Incredibly detailed, fun to assemble and beautiful to display. Collect them all! 110 pieces. 8 W x 16 1/4" D x 14"" H
Located on Fifth Avenue between 50th and 51st Streets in New York City St. Patricks Cathedral is the largest gothic-style Catholic Cathedral in the United States. It is the seat of the Archbishop of New York and has been recognized throughout its history as the center of Catholic life in this country. It was built to replace the original St. Patrick's Cathedral located on Mulberry Street between Prince and Eat Houston Streets which was completed in 1815 and destroyed by fire in 1866. Although the original St. Patrick's was rebuilt in 1868 it was later downgraded to a parich church in 1879 where the New St. Patrick's Cathedral was completed.
Construction of the New St. Patrick's Cathedral began in 1858 under then Archbishop John Hughes. Though he was ridiculed at the time because the building site was far from the population the generosity of many citizens including thousands of largely Irish immigrants helped to make his dream a reality. Construction of the Cathedral was halted during the civil war but began again in 1878 under Hughe's successor and the first American cardinal John Cardinal McCloskey. Funds were raised by the Great Cathedral Fair in 1878 and the official dedication of the Cathedral was held on May 25 1879.
The Cathedral architect was an American James Renwick as was Charles Atthews designer of the Lady Chapel. The St. Michael and St. Louis altar was designer by Tiffany and Company while the St. Elizabeth altar was designed by Paolo Medici of Rome. It seats approximately 2 200 people and its spires rise 330 feet. It has 3 organs and its Pieta is three times that of St. Peter's in Rome. The Archbishops of New York are buried in a crypt under the high altar with their honorary hats hanging on the ceiling over their tombs. The Cathedral is visited by over 3 million people each year. It was designated a National Hisoric Landmark in 1976.